Voicing

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:06:55 +0200

David Andersen wrote:

> >Well, today I got a bit carried away with some close to
> >crown needling on a few hammers in the bass / tenor change
> >over area
> Please describe your close-to-crown needling.

This was a hard use Yamaha C5, hammers very packed and with more or
less factory voicing only done to it. Just a couple of lighter sessions
since delivery. It had gotten very very bright and I found myself
moving very close to the crown area in order to effect any change in
tone. Needles were at about 2 mm and going in about 30 degrees from
hammer core line just off the crown. A few notes just under the break
got a bit too quite and muffeled so I tried what Andre has been trying
to tell me for some months now :) I took out my other needling tool
with a number 6 needle in it at 5 mm or so and worked in 5 or 6 sticks
perpendicular to the hammer core well half way down the hammer (lower
shoulders). Andre prefers using a 3 needle tool most of the time, and
rarely "works" in a stick, rather jabbing at the hammer. Tho he does
once in a while take a single stick this way. More then that I will let
him speak for himself.

Now some may ask why I havent done all this way before... and all I can
say is that I have always shyed away from needling from being afraid to
destroy hammers... so finally I am setting myself to the task of
learning how to really use the needle.

Does this answer your query ?

--
Richard Brekne