Voicing

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:13:48 +0200

Jon Page wrote:

> Standard pre-voicing needle work.  Hammers hung, needled in this fashion.

Hi Jon... Andre is the only person I have ever run into with this order of
things. Almost everywhere I look we are told to needle first deep and low for
power, then middle and half deep for mf, then shallow and close to top for
pp. The only real exceptions I have ever seen to this norm before were a
class at Sherman and Clay given by Franz Mohr who more or less called BS on
the whole voicing world and said its all about the crown, and the steam /
water/alchohol variants.

Are you saying that standard pre voicing is done by softening up the near
crown area  and then working on deep needling after the hammers are in the
piano ?

Interested:

RicB