Grand Island Tuner

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:35:44 -0700

>The national average for a tuning is $75?

Man oh man.  This really, truly pisses me off, to see such an incredibly
low figure published as the national average.

Is your time worth less than a plumber? A phone repairman? a mechanic at
a car dealer?
A waiter in a fancy restaurant?

Mine isn't.  I have said for years and years that we as a community
deeply undervalue our time, our dedication, our skill, and our worth.  If
this figure isn't proof of that, I don't know what is.

To tune a piano, I drive to the location; I talk to the client; I set my
self up; I tune the piano; I enter data into my computer & generate and
invoice; I talk to the client----that's about a 2.5-3-hour involvement; I
feel I'm underpaid when I charge $130-135.00. If there's more work than
tuning (which there usually is, with my clientele) I charge 90.00 per
hour, and feel pretty good about that.

Let's honor and support each other, guys.  And LET'S GET PAID.

DAVID ANDERSEN