ETD's accurate?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 03:58:35 +0000

In answer to Wim's dictionary-  This from Webster's collegiate Dictionary,
which may reflect the science background I was pulling from:

Accuracy: freedom from mistake or error:CORRECTNESS

Precision:the degree of refinement with which an operation is performed or a
measurement stated.

Or, relating to ETD's, we can now with the utmost precision (down to .01
cent) place a note in the wrong place. (lack of accuracy)  How many times
have you worked on a 'challenging' piano, where if you follow the ETD's
calculation, there will be some octaves with obvious beats?

On the flip side, it's possible to use a tool with a lack of precision (our
ears) by using our ability to compare intervals, come up with a more
accurate tuning. (fits the piano better)

cool, huh?

Ron Koval