[pianotech] Grand Treble Bell

Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:24:41 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Hufford" <hufford1@airmail.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 17, 2002 12:02 AM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Grand Treble Bell

> Richard,
>     I was informed, I think at the factory, or perhaps I read at some
point in the PT
> Journal, that the nosebolt at the "Bell" was intended to be an adjustable
mechanism
> to preserve downbearing as the board changed after leaving the factory.
Also,
> Steinway eventually refused to make recommendations as to how much
tightening was
> recommended, apparently understanding the risk of breaking the plate or
encountering
> difficulties in this regard.
> Regards, Robin Hufford

Robin,

Over the past roughly 40 years I've heard Steinway factory representatives
give three or four different renditions of what the bell does. And, yes,
this is one of them.

Until someone--anyone--can explain to me just how adjusting this thing will
have any effect on downbearing other than by bending the plate--a
problematic and potentially dangerous process at best--I'll stick with my
own proven theory.

I can only add that none of the rest of their explanations have made any
more sense than this one does.

Del