Jorgensen confirms EBVT "correct & authentic"

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:01:17 EDT

To those interested,

I called Owen Jorgensen today to ask him about what I have always known to be
true.  Equal Beating intervals are *supposed* to show a slight numerical
imbalance.  According to Owen Jorgensen, the Equal Beating method which I use
and learned from him is authentic and moreover, "*more* authentic than any of
the theoretically correct temperaments on record".

This is because people in the past could only listen to their instruments and
did not have the ETD's we have today.  Owen said they mistakenly thought that
Equal Beating meant equal sized intervals but today we know that is not true.
 Therefore, what may appear to be small, *numerical*  imbalances in some
renderings of the EBVT are the result of correct and properly proportionate
temperament construction.
Proper harmonic balance is possible of course while having numeric balance
but Equal Beating is not.  It actually *requires* what Ed Foote condemned as
unauthentic.

Of course, I tried to explain this to Ed Foote but he thinks he knows it all
and that numbers speak for themselves when clearly, the factors of
inharmonicity and position within the scale affect the actual outcome of
beats per second.

Eventually, I will determine what those correction figures ought to be and
I'll have a good, representative chart for Jason Kanter to graph but until
then, I'll leave it alone and right where it is.  Ed Foote should just keep
on dialing in his numbers and mind his own business.  As long as he does, I
won't bring forth any more of the criticism I have for what he does and
particularly for what he says.

Just in point of fact, I have never at any time had any contact with anyone
from the PTG Ethics committee. That is another falsehood brought up on this
List but I won't press the issue.  I did, however, enjoy the little poem that
David I. copied out of a book.  At least it didn't contain any misspellings.
Maybe if he and those who can only copy things other people have done would
try to exercise their minds a little, their posts wouldn't always be so dull
and trivial.  People like John F. should publish their home grown temperament
rather than being afraid that Ed Foote would attack and discredit it and tell
everyone to just keep copying numbers out of books.

What David could have written if he would actually *think* rather than just
react:

Ed the Confed and Bill the Pill
Had egos as big as their forehead.
While the results they achieved were both splendid indeed,
The fights over who knew what was best were horrid.

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT on Pianotech.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin