EBVT "correct & authentic"

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:49:01 -0500

Hi Bill,

I'm looking forward to seeing these figures. I have long thought that
the problem with developing these figures has been the irregularity of
lower partials about which Ron K is reminding us.

What I mean is that I believe the "correction figures" should be
calculated as if there were no inharmonicity at all. (I believe this is
how most HT figures have been obtained, as if there were no
inharmonicity.) Along with the zero inharmonicity figures, you could
then provide the aural description of the beat rate relationships of
your temperament for checking. The professional tuner could then use an
ETD to "macro"-tune your temperament and use aural beat rate checks to
"micro"-tune, just as ET is tuned.

In other words, there has been quite a delay in producing these
figures, which I take to be a sign of some difficulty. The solution,
IMO, is to separate out the theoretical from the practical. Show us
what the temperament should be under ideal mathematical-model-type
conditions, and leave it to the tuners out there to execute the
temperament with the combination of aural and visual methods that serve
them so well in tuning ET.

Thanks,

Kent Swafford