Upright and Grand rims, was: Impressive Steinway Upright

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:34:29 +0930

Hi Alan,

when designing a scale for a piano one has been told that you try to get =
an even tension across the scale. Unfortunately because of other factors =
in the modern piano the tension has been increased to a point that if =
you tried to use a thinner longer string in the upper treble it would be =
very close to breaking point of that gauge and would most certainly have =
lost its required elasticity to produce good tone.

In the older pianos, late 1800's and earlier what you describe was =
common place.

Regards

Tony Caught
caute@optusnet.com.au