Upright and Grand rims, was: Impressive Steinway Upright

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:28:39 -0500

Alan, Tony,

An interesting property of the equations is this:  At a given length and frequency, the percentage breaking strength of the steel wire is constant.  You can vary the wire size to play with tension, inharmonicity, power and impedence, but the percentage breaking strength does not change.

FWIW

Mike Spalding RPT

----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Caught <caute@optusnet.com.au>
To: Alan R. Barnard <mathstar@salemnet.com>; Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 8:04 AM
Subject: Re: Upright and Grand rims, was: Impressive Steinway Upright

Hi Alan,

when designing a scale for a piano one has been told that you try to get an even tension across the scale. Unfortunately because of other factors in the modern piano the tension has been increased to a point that if you tried to use a thinner longer string in the upper treble it would be very close to breaking point of that gauge and would most certainly have lost its required elasticity to produce good tone.

In the older pianos, late 1800's and earlier what you describe was common place.

Regards

Tony Caught
caute@optusnet.com.au