Piano Sound: The Rim

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:14:47 +0930

Hi Gordon,

I try to look at this another way, I know that what you are saying seems to
be the general consensus but.

The original vibrations come from the strings, these vibrations are
transmitted along the bridge to other strings causing them to vibrate in
sympathy with the original strings and at the same time, to the soundboard.
Now the soundboard is vibrating in a very complex manner. It must be to
allow machines like Tunelab to pick up all the harmonics of a particular
note when other notes are sounding as well.

Now all these frequencies travel at different wave lengths and if they are
reflected back from the rim out of phase then they would cancel out the
frequency coming from the string.

Thus, IF the rim is reflecting the vibrations back into the soundboard the
resultant sound will vary in accordance to the pitch of the notes and key in
which they are played. I would prefer a sound that comes from the strings
without any rim echo.

The firmer the rim or the edging of the soundboard the better but my
thoughts are this.  If the rim is solid and rigid then the soundboard will
be held in a more exacting position. If it is solid it will also not
vibrate. Yes it will transmit the sound but it will not vibrate as the
soundboard does, thus the vibrations stop at that point.

Possibly in the ideal piano the rim should be rigid and solid, the
soundboard attached only by the ribs with the boards thickness varying from
1/4" in the bass to 1/2" in the treble with possibly the ribs becoming
closer as they progress to wards the treble. This way the rim cannot
possibly reflect the vibrations back and the board would be totally reliant
on the strings for the sound generation.

When the sound or vibrations are leaked to the case whether this is via the
rim or the pressure bar or the iron frame the energy is taken away from the
soundboard to the detriment of the tonal qualities of the piano.

A solid rim is ideal for holding the soundboard and thus the bridges
attached to the soundboard in an exact position. If the soundboard is
attached only via the ribs less restrictions are there to allow the
soundboard to vibrate freely. If soundboard is vibrating freely then there
is less energy lost. If the soundboard has more energy then the sustain will
be longer, the volume louder and the tone more harmonically rich.

Some manufacturers are heading this way but at a slow pace. But as you have
heard from Ron Overs and Del Fandrich  and and first you have to prove you
are right over 50 years to be accepted. There are many other aspects of
construction to be considered, maybe if this thread carries on they also can
be explored.

Now, what do you think. Lets see if we can build on this concept or should
it be cast aside.

Regards

Tony Caught
caute@optusnet.com.au