Piano Sound: was something else

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 05:19:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> "Some pianos ( Boesendorfer, old Chickerings,
> Emersons, etc. ) use spruce for case and beams, so
> that some of the energy transmitted to them will
> still be converted to audible resonance."
>
> Are you saying that a Bosendorfer outer rim produces
> audible sound?

You bet! Designed to. Knock on one someday!

> "Spruce, while light, is still considered a
> "hardwood" as the fibers between the rfesonant
> vacuous cells are tightly compacted."
>
> Who or what industry considers spruce to be a
> hardwood? There are indeed soft hardwoods and hard
> softwoods, but spruce is a soft softwood. There is
> nothing hardwood about it.

I disagree. Though obviously not a " hard hardwood ",
unlike most other conifers, I have heard lumbermen
call it a hardwood. Stumped me too. ( Pun intended )
Sitka spruce is stiffer and more brittle. Maybe that's
why.

> "On many old pianos the cases were also veneered
> with rosewood or ebony. This was not just cosmetic,
> as these very dense woods transmited vibrations
> around the case..."
>
> Even veneers are transmitting? How have you come to
> this conclusion?

Well, gee, they make xylophone bars out of rosewood.
Its simple. The denser a material is, the better
vibrations travel thgrough it and are not converted to
heat. Simple physics law. The Victorian makers were
VERY attentive to detail ( as you have mentioned in
their pianos ).  And I have read this as intentional
usage in period literature ( AS&W transcripts, if I
remember. ) And although I find hide glue noxious, it
has excellent density and transmittal characteristics
( one resaon why it is preferred by Luthiers ) and in
combination with a dense veneer will not cause as much
energy to be lost as heat as, say , luan mahogany.

Respectfully,
     Gordon Stelter