Pitch Raise Speed/etc., was: Steinway vs. The Tuner

Tunapianer@aol.com Tunapianer@aol.com
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:09:21 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2002 3:27:16 AM, bigda@gte.net wrote:

>I don't use hard settling blows until I fine tune----although I'm hitting
>the notes harder than "normal"
>as I run through the pitch raise, and if the piano is real low, before I
>fine tune I'll start at A1 and smack the bejesus out of every note real
>quick.

My pitch raise is also a "quickie" version of the normal, with sometimes a
little overpull in the C5-C6 range (1-2 oct above middle C).  Before fine
tuning, I hold down the sustain and pound up and down the piano (using arm
weight, not force) for about 30 seconds to equalize the string tension.
Every time I do this, I think I ought to have ear plugs; the piano sure does
vibrate.  This seems to help the stability a lot.

I want to talk more about my "feel" approach to voicing and
>regulating, but it's late, and I have an early meeting tomorrow.

Please do.

Greg Soule
Pensacola, FL