Soundboard Panel Gluing

Sat, 14 Sep 2002 07:50:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 14, 2002 3:21 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboard Panel Gluing

> Hello Del. Seriously though, I'm getting REAL close to digging into that
first board (pneumatic clamps done, hot box done, etc.). I am trying to
decide whether to make my own panels (I would definitely like to make my
own) or purchase them already glued up and thicknessed. In your opinion, how
practical is it for the VERY small one man shop to do this. Last night was
one of little sleep worrying about misaligned edges and the like. I try and
imagine how I would flip the panel after it starts getting big to clean up
squeeze out (maybe not really any reason to do that on the bottom if you are
going to plane it to thickness afterward). Ron N. has spoken of the
difficulty of machining the very straight square edge needed for panel
construction. What does your experience suggest is prudent for the newbie
small shop? (I think I know what the answer is - so I'll ask one more
question. "But I really want to do it!") And just how difficult will it be
to tackle the tough parts?

> Thanks.
--------------------------------

Terry,

It's not at all practical! But since when has this been the criteria by
which we based decisions on whether or not we go ahead with projects like
this? Half the stuff I've done in my shop over the years has not been
practical. It's been difficult, expensive, frustrating, aggravating,
disgusting, infuriating, disappointing, perplexing, awkward, inconvenient,
impractical and often embarrassing. But I keep on doing it in the elusive
and frustrating hope of attaining real-world results in a physical
instrument that come ever-closer to matching what I hear in my head. None of
this stuff is 'prudent' for the newbie in the small shop.

How tough will it be? Who knows? I once has a man come to me after a class
on bridge building and notching (He had not attended the class but wanted
the short course. In those days I was a bit more naive than I am now....)
and ask me to show him how to notch a bridge. In about 30 seconds it became
obvious that, for him, it was going to be very difficult--I doubt he'd ever
held a chisel in his hands before that moment. I ended up telling him to go
home, buy a large chunk of maple and reduce it to chips with his discount
hardware Chinese chisel and then ask about notching bridges. He didn't like
my answer, but you have to do your homework.

You have a bit more experience working wood than that--you've done your
homework. Yes, it will be difficult in places but I'm sure you'll find a way
to get the job done. There's nothing quite like standing there and staring
at a problem and considering the cost of failure to get those creative
juices flowing.

Besides, you have an advantage none of us had just a few years back--the
internet and pianotech. You'll do ok.

Del