EBVT imbalances disproven?

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:12:23 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/02 3:27:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com writes:

> You may be temperament 'morphing' without being aware of the change in the
> numbers.
>
> Thanks for keeping up with the research

That's called "aural tuning", Ron.  Surely, when I get to the point where I
am satisfied with a set of correction figures for the EBVT, all of the
interval data that could be extrapolated from that would produce a list and
that list would be like any other.

Do you really think that if you used correction figures for any given
temperament, then tuned several different kinds of ordinary pianos, (the kind
both Ed Foote and Antares called "JUNK" on Pianotech), that you would have
all identical charts of interval sizes as the result?  Hardly.

One trend in the EBVT which is becoming evident and which I've always known
about is the boosting of the sizes through the middle of the temperament.
This is in contrast to the kind of temperament which starts out with a very
small amount of tempering at the top of the cycle of 5ths and ends with a
very large amount at the bottom.  This can cause both "dead" and harsh
sounding intervals.

As I've always said though, the Equal Beating effect causes harmonies played
at the top of the cycle of 5ths to sound far closer to pure than they really
are.  No other historically documented or modern temperament has this feature
by design.  It may mean that in some instances, some compromises to the basic
temperament scheme have to be made to favor this feature.  Just programming
correction figures and accepting the results of that plus not knowing how or
why to make any modifications to it is not a goal I would ever pursue.  Yet,
this is what Ed Foote tells everybody to do.  The ETD will always provide
something better than you can.  I say, Baloney to that, always have, always
will.

What the EBVT does is produce more consistent and even sounding resonances,
something which Ed Foote would never acknowledge because it does not support
his agenda.  I'd rather produce those even sounding chords any day and have
the most "inconsistent" looking sets of figures rather than simply copy
numbers out of a book and say that is what I do and recommend.

Ed Foote also says that I am just making up this Reverse Well stuff.  Well,
at my pro bono tuning this afternoon, on a Yamaha P-22 (a piano Ed Foote
calls "JUNK") I found Reverse Well again and documented it.  The piano is
tuned by different people but often and was right on pitch.  Incidentally, I
saw that Yamaha was giving factory tours to technicians at the Georgia plant
where they build what Ed Foote calls "JUNK".  Our local school system buys
this JUNK for all of our schools and I tune that JUNK in "very poor harmonic
balance" and ":octaves that don't make sense at all".  I've been victimizing
the local children and the entire community with this for 10 years, at least
if you believe what Ed Foote says.

Yamaha P-22
M3rds:             Eb3  E3  F3  F#3  G3  G#3  A3   A#3  B3  C4   C#4 D4
Reverse Well:     n/r  n/r 17.1 9.2  20.3  10.6 16.3 14.5  6.6 20.2  4.8 n/r
EBVT:            14.6 16.2 10.5 16.9 9.1 16.9 11.6 12.6 16.4  7.1 16.7 12.6

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT on Pianotech.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin