[pianotech] Re: new list features

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:10:34 -0500

Ron:

Zone Alarm, Norton Anti-virus, and a hardware router/firewall will do
it.  I haven't had any trouble from any of those.  You know, I'll bet
there's a news group, or web site that gives information about these
kinds of business/marketing practices that are so annoying.  Anyone
know where?

dave

On 9/11/2002 at 12:38 PM Ron Nossaman wrote:

>>So, Ron, is that a 286 or a 386 that they'll have to pry your cold,
dead
>>fingers off of. Whatever it is, it hasn't stuck you in the category
of
>>"can't make a filter or a mailbox".
>
>No, I'm running a 700mhz box with Win 2000, professional edition
(whatever
>exactly that's supposed to mean), and software that's not that far
out of
>date, even though it's true you can't still smell the shrink wrap.
It just
>seems that every other week, I'm allowed the necessity of software
>upgrades
>because last year's no longer works with the file formats and
conventions
>of this year's, or the timed self destruct date has passed. For the
last
>few weeks now, Mcaffe has been popping up a "reminder" every time I
boot
>up, telling me I have to go to their web site and buy an upgrade.
This
>must
>be manually cancelled each time for the boot to proceed. No, it's
not a
>matter of updating the DAT file, it's an insistence that I buy an
upgrade.
>Since this "reminder" has started appearing, I'm no longer "allowed"
>view or edit my firewall access list either. This sort of crap is
becoming
>the norm rather than the exception, and I for one resent it. It
offends
>me.
>I don't treat my customers this way, and I think I should get the
same
>consideration when I'm the customer. If that makes me a
technological
>troglodyte, hanging on to the past in hysterical horror, then that
is what
>I will apparently be forevermore. No, maybe that isn't the same
category
>as
>"can't make a filter or mailbox", but I can't call it progress
either.

>When I finally give up and bite the bullet of starting all over
again from
>scratch yet another time, I'll see what's available in good
antivirus and
>firewall and write Mcaffe off for this lifetime. Maybe Zone alarm
will
>work
>with my present system, it wouldn't with my previous one. That is,
if
>Mcaffe will graciously allow me to uninstall it without trashing
something
>else. Then I'll waste whatever time it takes to get it "working" as
I'd