[pianotech] Re: new list features

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:38:06 -0500

>So, Ron, is that a 286 or a 386 that they'll have to pry your cold, dead
>fingers off of. Whatever it is, it hasn't stuck you in the category of
>"can't make a filter or a mailbox".

No, I'm running a 700mhz box with Win 2000, professional edition (whatever
exactly that's supposed to mean), and software that's not that far out of
date, even though it's true you can't still smell the shrink wrap. It just
seems that every other week, I'm allowed the necessity of software upgrades
because last year's no longer works with the file formats and conventions
of this year's, or the timed self destruct date has passed. For the last
few weeks now, Mcaffe has been popping up a "reminder" every time I boot
up, telling me I have to go to their web site and buy an upgrade. This must
be manually cancelled each time for the boot to proceed. No, it's not a
matter of updating the DAT file, it's an insistence that I buy an upgrade.
Since this "reminder" has started appearing, I'm no longer "allowed" to
view or edit my firewall access list either. This sort of crap is becoming
the norm rather than the exception, and I for one resent it. It offends me.
I don't treat my customers this way, and I think I should get the same
consideration when I'm the customer. If that makes me a technological
troglodyte, hanging on to the past in hysterical horror, then that is what
I will apparently be forevermore. No, maybe that isn't the same category as
"can't make a filter or mailbox", but I can't call it progress either.

When I finally give up and bite the bullet of starting all over again from
scratch yet another time, I'll see what's available in good antivirus and
firewall and write Mcaffe off for this lifetime. Maybe Zone alarm will work
with my present system, it wouldn't with my previous one. That is, if
Mcaffe will graciously allow me to uninstall it without trashing something
else. Then I'll waste whatever time it takes to get it "working" as I'd
like - assuming that's possible. I realize I could save time, money, and
trouble by just closing my eyes and forking over the paltry ransom for the
"upgrade", but this marketing method thoroughly offends me. Sure, maybe I
could thrash around in the registry and find and exorcise the outward
indications and "reminders", but I have no idea what creatively conceived
secondary affects that might induce, and I'm not that enthusiastic about
reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling everything from scratch again.
Besides, I'm not interested in becoming an operating system expert. I don't
think tools should argue with me. I just want the bloody thing to shut up,
stay out of my way, and let me get on with what I'm trying to do without
arbitrarily biting me in the butt. When I have to buy software to protect
me from the Internet, why can't I buy software to protect me from the
software I've already bought? I'd buy that.

Ron N