[pianotech] Too Many Uprights

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:29:11 -0400

    Forgot to also mention in my last post to check out www.pianodesk.com
Lots of good ideas of what to do with old uprights.
    Mike Kurta
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 8:02 AM
Subject: [pianotech] Too Many Uprights

> I feel that I have to apologize for this post before I even write it, but
here goes....

> I have a small rebuilding shop (900 sq. ft.). I currently have two grands
I am working on, three more grands stored up on their sides, and six
100-year old uprights. Of the uprights, two are Mason & Hamlins, two are
Steinways, and two are no-namers. Obviously, the four M&Hs and S&Ss have
potential for remanufacturing/resale and they will be stored in my shop
until they are rebuilt, but my question is the other two uprights.

> They are both very nice rebuilding stock. These are not cheepie pianos.
Many great features, Wendel, Nickel & Goss action, and a host of other
features suggesting well-above average quality pianos.

> I guess I am just not completely over that newbie thing of having a hard
time junking an upright. Hey, 20 or 50 years from now, these things may well
be irreplaceable - valuable rare fine instruments (after they are
rewhatevered). Do we really want to trash the better examples of piano mfg.
from this era?

> I just don't have the room to store these. The only options I can think of
are:

> #1) store them in a hot, humid, mousy garage (in Florida, garage floods on
occasion, but I can put them up on blocks),

> #2) rent a storage garage (arggggggg - no way - $$$$$),
>
> #3) give them away (but they don't really play - I can't do that),
>
> #4) bust 'em up (lot's of good nuts and bolts and screws - and I can cut
up and play with the spruce from the soundboard - and the bass strings are
lots of fun to do target practice with by setting up a target on the other
side of the shop) - but gosh, this option seems criminal.

> What should I do with the two no-name uprights? Vote for #1 through #4.
Any other constructive ideas will be appreciated, and non-constructive ideas
are OK too (just nothing anatomically compromising), as we all need an
outlet. Thanks.