[pianotech] Too Many Uprights

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:20:32 -0500

Terry,

The only real options are either 3 or 4. First, only cars should be stored
on blocks. Living in the South, you ought to know better. ;-) Second, if you
did rebuild them, it is unlikely you would get a good return on your
rebuilding investment. Third, you already have the Steinway and M&H
uprights. Those have better potential for resale. Work on those, and clear
up the room in your shop. You'll be glad you did. :-)

BOUs (big old uprights) have lots of good wood in them. Screws, etc.  Save
some action parts in case you ever need one 5 years down the road (unlikely,
but you never know). Save the action rails if you want to. Some of them will
come in handy. (Why, just last week I used one to for a 13/16" spacer to
fill a gap. It was already the width I needed and I didn't have to plane it
or anything!) Sell the plates for scrap iron, etc.

Go, Terry, go! You can do it.

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com

#1) store them in a hot, humid, mousy garage (in Florida, garage floods on
occasion, but I can put them up on blocks),

#2) rent a storage garage (arggggggg - no way - $$$$$),

#3) give them away (but they don't really play - I can't do that),

#4) bust 'em up (lot's of good nuts and bolts and screws - and I can cut up
and play with the spruce from the soundboard - and the bass strings are lots
of fun to do target practice with by setting up a target on the other side
of the shop) - but gosh, this option seems criminal.

What should I do with the two no-name uprights? Vote for #1 through #4. Any
other constructive ideas will be appreciated, and non-constructive ideas are
OK too (just nothing anatomically compromising), as we all need an outlet.
Thanks.

Anyone want a couple free quality uprights for rebuilding (both 1890s with
very nice cases)???

Terry Farrell