[pianotech] re: the true properties of EBVT

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:16:20 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/02 11:43:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com writes:

> Yes, maybe a 'tempest in a teapot' but interesting to some.  :)

Yes, thanks for hanging in there.  Not being an experienced user of the FAC
program is the principal reason I never wanted to be the one who attempted to
come up with these correction figures and I've often said that.  But in face
of the credibility assault from Ed Foote, one does what he has to do.

I'm home for lunch from a usual day of tuning 5 pianos.  Today, I have
decided to tune entirely by ear but I have been taking readings of the
intervals which have been accused of being imbalanced.  So far, after 3
pianos, no imbalances at all.

I firmly believe that the EBVT is a a temperament, not just a vague idea.  It
is much like any one of the temperaments found in Owen Jorgensen's "Handbook"
for the Equal Beating Temperaments.  All of these specify, as the EBVT does,
some pure intervals and for others to beat exactly the same as another which
has been created as the result of constructing previous intervals.

I have heard that Fred Tremper once calculated the correction figures for
these but I don't know of anyone who has ever tried to confirm or refute that
these figures actually work.  I, for one, would not be interested in doing
that but I do wonder if people would run into the same problems which those
who have worked on the EBVT figures have.

As for tolerance of Equal Beating intervals, it has always been my working
assumption that comparing rapidly beating intervals affords a very high
degree of precision, about the highest which can be expected in aural tuning.
 The F2-A4 and F2-Fork test being a prime example:  1 cent or under error
expected.

I'll publish the results of my 5 pianos all tuned aurally in EBVT and *none*
with any imbalances expected at the end of the day.  I suspect that the
primary reason these imbalances have occurred is the setting of the first
interval, F3-A3 a little too fast.  Getting started with even that slight
error and replicating it will certainly cause that to happen.  There is a
whole list of errors which can cause the imbalance which I will also publish
later.

I'd agree with what Paul Bailey has said and I've talked to him about this
too.  A high incidence of Equal Beating in the temperament and its extensions
across the keyboard creates amazing clarity and pleasing resonance; that
"stunning" sound that people aspire to.  I just don't believe you'll get that
by dialing in a few numbers for any one of these milder published
temperaments, particularly the "Best" Broadwood.

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT on Pianotech.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin