[pianotech] Re: leveling keys !!!!

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:53:51 -0700

Jack,
Thanks for the reply.  A couple of comments below.

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:17:52 EDT JWyatt1492@aol.com wrote:

> Hello Phil F. and Richard B.
>
>     Phil !  there are at
> least two (2) other  methods
> that  were used  in the
> past  that  were successful.
>    Sorry Richard !  but both are
> viable
>
>      The latest one used
> was in the " P.A. Starck "
>  verticals in the 1960-61-62 time frame.
> This was
> also after the J.P. Seeburg Organ  Co.
> bought Starck.
>
>       Under the key at
> the very back, an upright
>  ( jack) let off rail was secured to the a
> wooden
> rail with  a let-of button and felt facing
> up under
> each
> key. The key height was adjusted by turning the
> let off button up or down. This was in their
> consols
> and spinets.
>    The down side being that after
> this was adjusted
> you then had to adjust the capstan.

As I'm picturing this you adjust the height adjust button from underneath the
keybed.  Is this correct?  Was it a standard let-off button?  Did you use a
tool like you would use on a let-off button to turn it?  Sounds like it could
be a bit of a contortionist act to do it, but perhaps I'm not picturing it
right.  By the way, this seems somewhat similar to the adjustment shown on the
Lindner piano in the scan that Del sent out yesterday.

>       The second
> method was in a  "Bowen-Henderson"
>  1920s grand and perhaps others. This method
> used
> a  "Jumbo" type drop screw that was
> inserted thru the
> key just in front of the center rail pin.
> Of course the
> adjusting end of this screw was on top of the
> key.
> There was no punching of any type.
> There was a
> strip of action cloth about a quarter inch wide
> in front
> of the center pins.  And to answer the
> most logical
> question, no,, there was no pulley keys and the
> piano
> was well used.
>      I demonstrate one of
> these in the
> "Action History Class" that I give for the
> PTG. Foundation
>
> Regards,
> Jack Wyatt

This I have seen.  It seemed a good idea.  I'm not sure why it didn't catch
on.  I heard from somewhere that it weakened the key too much.  Have you heard
that or seen evidence of broken keys in pianos that have this feature?  The
fact of no pulley keys is interesting too.  Since the key is actually pivoting
about the bottom of this jumbo drop screw I would think this would put some
pressure on the balance pin hole.  But, apparently not enough to matter.

Phil Ford