[pianotech] re: the true properties of EBVT

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:38:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/9/02 10:20:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:

> The unequal tuning I do now is one I've developed on my own, but is very
> likely just another temperament that I've not read about yet. Basically, it
> is less varied than the EBVT and the E major third does not beat as fast,
> which is more to my liking.

Congratulations!  This, after all, has always been my suggestion, that people
find for themselves something that will work.  Rather than just copying
numbers out of a book, you're really exploring and tuning the piano to itself.

I wouldn't say that you were tuning the EBVT "wrong" but any small error or
combination of errors such as getting the G#3-C#4 4th slightly narrow and/or
stretching the E3-E4 octave a little too much would cause this problem.  As
with ET, when you see that the temperament is not quite working out, you make
slight adjustments to "smooth it out".  That is, after all, the art of
tuning.  If you have simply and blindly followed an ETD program and don't
understand the temperament, you wouldn't know what to do.

There is an additional and final test for each note that I do for the note
E3.  The A3-C#4 3rd should beat exactly the same as the E3-C#4.  If that
works, there will be no imbalance.

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT on Pianotech.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin