[pianotech] translating temperaments from aural to machine

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:34:18 +0000

Bill wrote: Thanks for your reasonable reply, Ron.  I am actively working on
the solution for correction figures and will have it soon.

You're welcome.  Since I know you are not a "gear head" let me offer some
suggestions.  In using your machine, you've got to get it to agree with what
you've set on the piano, otherwise the numbers won't relate to machine
calculations.  The first step, after tuning aurally, is to zero in on the 2
octave range from A3 to A5.  The stretch MUST be the same, or as close as
the precision of tuning and measuring, around 1/2 cent.  It is normal to
choose A, but in the case of EBVT, it may be prudent to choose Bb, F, Db, or
Gb.  These are the notes whose fifths are tuned pure, so the octaves should
be 'pure' as well.

Which ever note is chosen, adjust the machine (by varying the stretch) until
all three notes are as exact as you can make them.  I'm sorry that I don't
have any SAT experience, or I could offer specifics.  Maybe someone else?
Once you are satisfied that you have the machine matching your octaves, then
measure all the notes to get the offsets.  I'd do both octaves just as a
double-check.  You could probably get by with just checking one octave, but
two will give you a little more precision.

Good luck!

Ron Koval