[pianotech] Re: Tuning the Duplex (was ...Capo)

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:36:40 EDT

Del,

I would say that if your instrument has a 15 second sustain time, it's pretty
good right there. After all a piano is a percussive instrument. But we are
looking for a Singing Tone. I think the effect is much more noticeable on
pianos whose sustain time is less than that, like five seconds which suggests
that the duplex scale harmonic bridges are improperly placed. Testing the
duplex scale on a piano with abridged sustain in most cases reveals that they
are out of tune.

My experience and that of the techs in a number of my seminars, especially
the latest ones in which a beautifully prepared piano was the specimen, is
that the sustain can be improved from five seconds to 30 seconds or more when
the duplex scale is tuned.

Dan Franklin