[pianotech] RE: Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates) gived a try

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 23:25:13 +0200

Hello David,

Interested in a tuning method that changes from 5ths, octaves, 10ths
and so on, I give a try to the use of the fourth as the principal
interval used in a tuning this afternoon, and find it very easy to
tune, clear and must important, not tiring at all.

I don't know if you do that, but I soon used the fourths to check the
unisons, and that worked great. It was easy to consider the 'bloom of
the unison and the bloom of the fourths to be on the same planet !

The stretch was to my taste, much less bland than with "pure" fifths
based tuning . The global sound was very smooth and nice, singing as
the fifths based tunings, but with less activity, or more light sound.

I really liked it indeed  - and it was a poor Boston GP 178 with
hardened hammers (shot)

I've find it difficult to find a good balance in the high basses, and
I did not follow the game to the low basses.

Just a first try, I will tell about it later.

Thanks for the idea and all.

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

PianoTech