[pianotech] Re: Changed to Rippen/Lindner from Currier

Mon, 09 Sep 2002 22:13:27 +0200

Phillip Ford wrote:

> This is another case of some interesting ideas poorly executed.  Any idea that
> allows leveling of the keys
> without removing the keys and placing little pieces of paper under them
> qualifies as an interesting idea in my book.
>
> Phil F

Hmmm,,, well they (Lindner) were not the first to try their hand at this
particular interesting idea. And poorly executed or not they succeeded no better
then anyone else. In fact... it just might turn out that this interesting idea is
in the end not so interesting after all... because there is really no viable way
of accomplishing the task.

I think we are stuck with the little pieces of paper Phil... and they are not all
that big a problem really.

On the side.. I once saw an invention displayed that addressed this very problem.
It was a balance rail pin that was fitted to a screw base the diameter of a
standard felt punching. Straight slot at the top of the balance pin allow a
screwdriver to turn the thing either up or down. Great idea... except its more
expensive, and is prone to failure due to how climate, wood and screws all go
together. Still,  was and is to date one of the better ideas I've seen along this
line.  Doesnt work so well for front rail pins tho... :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.