[pianotech] Re: New Steinway D problem

Sun, 8 Sep 2002 21:10:02 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 08, 2002 1:15 AM
  Subject: Re: New Steinway D problem

  Thanks Delwin.=20
  Does this item have a specific / proper name?=20

If there is, I don't know it. I've always heard it referred to as "the =
bell."

  I'm not sure I understand your point about damping here. I thought you =
were of the opinion that the problem with internal damping was that it =
absorbed to much energy, tho here you are concerned about the plate =
actually vibrating to much, and the purpose of the device itself =
supports you.=20

Only in a perfect world are vibrating string terminations unaffected by =
vibrating strings. In our world things aren't so clean.=20

The whole meaning of 'high internal damping' means that vibrating energy =
transferred into the material in question--from whatever driving =
source--is readily absorbed and converted into heat. Gray iron is =
massive (but not perfectly massive) and it is moderately stiff (not =
perfectly stiff). The bell/bolt arrangement effectively adds both mass =
and stiffness to the hitchpin panel, reducing the amount of energy this =
panel easily accepts from the strings, hence keeping more energy in the =
strings to be used to move the bridge.

Del