[pianotech] Re: New Steinway D problem

Mon, 09 Sep 2002 22:26:08 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>      Does this item have a specific / proper name?
>
> If there is, I don't know it. I've always heard it
> referred to as "the bell."
>

>      I'm not sure I understand your point about
>      damping here. I thought you were of the opinion
>      that the problem with internal damping was that
>      it absorbed to much energy, tho here you are
>      concerned about the plate actually vibrating to
>      much, and the purpose of the device itself
>      supports you.
>
> Only in a perfect world are vibrating string terminations
> unaffected by vibrating strings. In our world things
> aren't so clean.
>
> The whole meaning of 'high internal damping' means that
> vibrating energy transferred into the material in
> question--from whatever driving source--is readily
> absorbed and converted into heat.

Ok... but it also means that the material doesnt vibrate
readily.... or what ?

> Gray iron is massive (but not perfectly massive) and it is
> moderately stiff (not perfectly stiff). The bell/bolt
> arrangement effectively adds both mass and stiffness to
> the hitchpin panel, reducing the amount of energy this
> panel easily accepts from the strings, hence keeping more
> energy in the strings to be used to move the bridge.

I get your point now, I think anyways.... You are saying
that because of the lack of stiffness in this area of the
plate the thing accepts vibration energy and converts it
into heat. So if the plate is stiff enough... or massive
enough (kind of the same thing in different way) it wont
accept any (or much) vibration energy in the first place to
get converted.

I think I feel a little head ache comming on tho concerning
the seperating between internal damping, and exterior
vibration. :)

> Del

Thankyou kindly Del.

RicB