Sound coming from the plate

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 11:00:36 +0200

Greg,

The dampers are not supposed to touch this rail, usually, it is there as to
secure them and avoid their lower part to touch the strings if , for example
the sustain course is too wide.

so they are usually shimmed to be at that limit. On little' actions for sure
things are less precise often.

Regards

Isaac OLEG
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
Greg Newell
  Envoye : dimanche 8 septembre 2002 04:00
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Re: Sound coming from the plate

  Corte,
          I certainly have and have attributed it to the rail that limits
damper lever travel. A definite "BONG" sound. Big pain in the butt while
tuning that you almost can't hear with the case parts back on. That part is
normally a hammer spring rail but in this case the springs are on the hammer
butts. Hope this helps.

  Greg Newell