A BIG BUZZZZZZ!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 21:01:15 -0700

I would like to share today's job. It was a Lindeman and Sons, Square Grand.
It came from Alabama. On first playing all the notes from top to bottom,
there was a horrendous Buzzzzz from A1 down! Checked the bridges. Someone
had put a 1/4" carriage bolt in the lower end of the bass bridge, (this
piano has three bridges; long bridge, tenor bridge and Bass bridge). This
bolt went all the way through the bridge, the soundboard and through a
soundboard button. It had a "Wad" of thick, soft leather and a nut attached
on the underside. Check the nut, etc. everything was tight. Still the Buzzzz
on every lower note. Hmmmm??? I decided to probe under the plate with a
soundboard steel. I poked, probed and swished in every nook and cranny. Then
I noticed the steel hit what I thought was a nose bolt, but there wasn't one
in that area. Hmmmm? So, I poked and pushed the steel at this area. All at
once the steel pushed the object loose! Out rolled a 32 caliber pistol ball,
(lead)!!!!! Being an avid Black Powder Nut, after a quick glance I knew what
it was. Checked the piano in the low bass. The buzz was gone! Yahoo!
The customer, with tears in her eyes, said: "and Mama said it couldn't be
fixed!" I don't know who was more overjoyed, me or her.
Just thought I'd share my day with y'all.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)