plate refinishing detail

Elian Degen J. elian_degen@cantv.net
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 23:22:40 -0400

Hello Gerald

about your
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Posey" <poseyviolins@charter.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 14:18
Subject: plate refinishing detail

>     I am a hobbyist rebuilding a small Heintzman grand.  I am taking the
> plate out to refinish it.  The question is how do you refinish the screws
that hold it in?

In my own particular case, I preffer to get new bolts for this job, If I
cannot or for any reason I use the same I send them to be chrome-plated or
to paint them black if it is the case, I have a friend of mine who uses what
the gun stores sell for black guns.

>   Paint separately, then put them in?  Does this scratch the
> paint? Do you mask or scrape the paint from the plate holes?

Depending on the condition of the piano, and what the customer agreed with
me or if it is worth it, I will paint the whole plate

>     What do you do with the hitch pins?  Take them out? mask?, or clean
> later?

also depends on their condition, but mostly I clean them