Sound coming from the plate

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 21:59:32 -0400

Corte,
         I certainly have and have attributed it to the rail that limits
damper lever travel. A definite "BONG" sound. Big pain in the butt while
tuning that you almost can't hear with the case parts back on. That part is
normally a hammer spring rail but in this case the springs are on the
hammer butts. Hope this helps.

Greg Newell

At 04:57 PM 9/7/2002, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone.
>
>Has anyone ever encountered this before?  I have a client with an M1F from
>Yamaha.  It's only a few years old but already, Yamaha has discontinued
>the line.  It's a 43 " upright and it has one of those crazy lids that
>lift up like a grand piano.
>
>Anyway, I noticed that after I strike a key anywhere in the treble, I get
>a metalic sound that is not in tune with the note struck.  It was obvious
>to me that the sound I was hearing was the iron plate vibrating for a
>short time after the note was struck.  However, as I mentioned, it was a
>terrible out-of-tune noise.  It's not extremely obvious but it is loud
>enough that it drives the owner crazy.  The plate screws are all tight, as
>is every other screw I could find.
>
>I wonder if this was why this series was discontinued.  Anyone ever run
>into a similar problem?
>
>Corte Swearingen

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net