New Question re: Potential Customers

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 15:17:37 EDT

In a message dated 9/7/02 6:14:43 PM !!!First Boot!!!, mathstar@salemnet.com
writes:

> I've noticed several references to sending out reminder cards, etc.
>
> I have been calling people when it's time (or when I think it's time) to
> tune. Sometimes I get put off indefinitely or vaguely--they think the piano
> sounds fine or don't want to spend the $, I suppose.
>
> This feels like I used to when I sold insurance and called to set
> appointments ... I don't like the feeling BUT I just think there would be
> more procrastination and forgotten schedules if I leave it to the customer
> to call--also more pitch adjustments to deal with, etc.
>
> Your thoughts?

We've talked about this a couple of times in the past. But it never hurts to
talk about it, especially since we have a lot more newbies on the list.

The need for piano tuning is like the need to get your teeth cleaned. 6 moths
or a year goes by in a hurry. And just like your teeth, it is difficult to
realize something has gone awry, since it happens so gradually. That is why a
gentle reminder is not a bad idea.

But, as Alan said, customers don't always respond to a cold call. Most of the
time customers hang up without really listening to who you are, or what your
are trying to "sell" them, because to them, you're just another phone
solicitor.

That is why I send out reminder post cards. There are some available from the
home office, or you can make your own. The reminder card is a non invasive
way to let your customers know that it has been 6 months, or a year, since
you were there, and that it is time to get the piano tuned again. (I send out
reminder cards for 4 years. It's amazing how many people call you even after
4 years, not realizing it's been that long). The post card allows them to
schedule an appointment at their own convenience, whenever they want to get
around to it. You will find that they are much more receptive to having you
in their house when they have invited you, than when you have asked them for
the appointment.

It is also a time saver for you. I used to call my customers. I even sent
them a post card telling them I was going to call them. Then one year, over a
six month period of time, one month I sent out a post card telling the
customer I would call them, and then the next moth, I asked them to call me.
After six moth, there was no significant difference in my income from one
month to the next. Basically,  I was getting the same number of appointments
during the months I was calling customer, as when I was asking them to call
me.

That was about 20 years ago, and I have never called a customer to ask them
to get the piano tuned. They always call me, and I'm saving about 3 - 4 hours
a week to do other things. The other advantage to the post card is that it
will get put on the refrigerator door, and it will stay there for months. I
have gotten phone calls from customer who got the reminder card 4 or 5 months
before. It's also great free advertising. That post card on the refrigerator
will get seen by friends and family members. And when it gets sent to
churches and schools, the secretaries and other staff members often see the
reminder cards.

For the little amount of money the post card cost, they are a great way to
build up your clientele.

Wim