tuning pins and changes in humidity

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 06 Sep 2002 09:09:23 -0600

Hi Terry,

I agree tuning pins appear to become "loose" under low humidity conditions
sometimes. There are exceptions--in particular the old Canadian Bell pianos
appear to become loose under high humidity--or else don't change much at
all. I still remember with some embarressment telling an owner of one Bell
that the torque on the tuning pins would go up, and when I measured it a
year later--it was lower. I believe it has to do with how the pinblock is
installed and what material it is--is it a multilaminate or a solid block?

I think multilaminate blocks feel looser because while the hole is getting
smaller the wood fibres that create the resistance to turning are *also*
getting smaller so there is less "surface" touching the tuning
pin--therefore lower torque, even though the hole is smaller. Further the
wood cells around the tuning pin are almost certainly "ruptured" and so
would loose moisture very  much more quickly than the surrounding undamaged
wood.

Any other theorys of how this happens out there?

At 07:23 AM 9/6/02 -0400, you wrote:
>"Holes in wood get smaller as humidity goes down..."
>
>I have heard this before. Believe me, I am not trying to start an
arguement - just trying to understand. If a hole gets smaller, then why do
tuning pins get more loose with lower humidity?

>Terry Farrell

Regards,