Currier

Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:52:22 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 05, 2002 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: Currier

> > > They look pretty big in one shot. I think (hope) they're big enough to
> > > clear the pins.
> > >
> > > Ron N
> >

> Do you think there would be a problem if the tuning pin were also in
contact
> (being supported by) the steel face plate?  I can see that the hole in the
> steel face would need to be a greater diameter than the hole in the
pinblock.
> If the pinblock hole is 0.020" undersize or so of the tuning pin, and the
hole
> in the face plate were drilled the same, then the faceplate and/or pin
would
> probably be damaged when driving it in.  But what if the hole in the face
> plate were 0.001 or 0.002 or so under the size of the pin?  Do you think
you
> could drive the pin without damage?  Do you think that the steel would end
up
> supporting the pin?
>
> Phil F

Don't see why not. Plates have been supporting pins for better than a
century now in Steinways (and similar). Why not make the holes just over the
size of the pin and let the pin ease onto the steel face plate. I doubt that
making the hole slightly smaller would hurt the pin but just in case....

Del