key bushings

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 06:51:30 +0200

Roger,

  This we size with a polished balance rail pin, chucked in a battery
operated drill, one quick pull of the trigger, and the hole is sized to
perfection.  We size from the top down.  No guess work as to where the
friction is coming from.

I am sorry (not really but you see...) , I will try it but I don't buy it at
first :>) as the pinning is showing more or less wear depending of the place
in the keyboard, sizing the hole to a standard size with an electric drill
may not allow the best fit (anyway not on original pins) .

On new pins that seems a good idea,  but still I would check note by note
before sizing.

Another concern is that the pin used can well develop a burr , but may be
you use brass pins for that ? Anyway I'd be cautious about any action that
could put some wood off the hole. Crushing is enough to me.

Sure I now pay enough attention to the keybed and keys, it is as the
foundation of everything . If the pianist where playing directly on the
strings with the hammers, they would be cymbalists.

Have a nice day

Regards.

Isaac

 Bin thar done dat.  Still do it if I'm in a hurry.  Usually on a rebuild,
we do every thing that is needed to the keybed, then the action analysis, to
determine what parts to order.

I think the big area of movement, is the reaction of the water in the glue,
on the key button. Leaving them a couple of days, we have found no sizing is
needed on the bushings, only sizing the balance rail hole.Key bed fitting,
friction control, and key fitting, is perhaps one of the most neglected jobs
in our craft.
Regards Roger