Soundboard Failure

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 04:49:45 -0700

Instead of smearing the glue with soundboard steel, put some hot hide =
glue in an elmers glue bottle and inject it through the holes in the =
ribs. Insert the screws and tighten.=20
Keith R
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: JCSwafford@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 12:27 AM
  Subject: Re: Soundboard Failure

  In a message dated 9/4/02 11:27:23 PM Central Daylight Time, =
jurjens@tpg.com.au writes:

    Do i try to clamp this up to reglue? Has the soundboard warped this
    much? Am i wasting my time?=20

  I've done many a job on "cheap" pianos like this with complete success =
in a very short period of time.

  I'll tell what I do for what it's worth.

  I'll just assume that all the ribs are completely detached from the =
soundboard for a worse case scenario.

  I would use about 100 to 125 dry wall screws (these work the best for =
me) that are just long enough to go through the rib and into the =
soundboard, but not all the way through. Use a soundboard steel to stop =
the drill bit from penetrating the board by sliding it under the rib =
beneath the point where you are drilling through the rib for the screw. =
The diameter of the bit should be ideally the same diameter as the =
screw. You will be drawing the board into the ribs. Do not drill into =
the board at all - Dry wall screws are small enough in diameter to bite =
firmly into soft spruce or mahogany without splitting the wood, =
stripping in the wood or fatiguing the metal of the screw.=20

  You can drill about 100 holes one right after the other in a very =
short period of time in factory style - maybe 10 minutes or so from =
start to finish. Then use the soundboard steel to smear glue between the =
ribs and board - you might blow all the bits of wood and debris away =
from piano before doing this. Then insert all the screws by hand through =
the ribs to the board. Then use a power drill with a Phillips attachment =
to screw them all in one by one - you have to have a feel for how much =
pressure to apply to the screw and know when to stop screwing (usually =
the screw will penetrate the rib a little before it will strip in the =
board or break in two). This can be done in another 10 minutes or so.=20