Tuning the Duplex (was ...Capo)

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 17:39:39 -0600

Hi Alan,
                It's not some thing you can generally see, and you are not
pulling or pushing the string that hard.  The massage is done just 2" in
front of the capo, to the capo bar.
I also usually give the bridge pins a tap with a set punch, when you have a
piano as described, this also cleans up a lot of false beats, and increases
sustain, and cleans up the tone.
I wrote an article, Titled,  Prelude to Voicing, last year in the
Journal.  If you apply all those techniques, you will find many tone
problems disappear, and the piano may need less voicing.
At times, I think we are guilty of going for the needles, when there is
other solutions.
Needling can at times hide a multitude of sins.  The real skill comes when
you know when to cheat.
Ops! Did I say that.  <G>
Roger

At 05:33 PM 9/3/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Thank you and I trust and will try what you say, though I wasn't the
>person with the duplex complaint.
>
>I am mystified, a little, though. It seems like the strings, up against
>the capo, are as high as they could get.
>
>Would this not also tend to make the string rise off the bridge a little?
>
>Alan Barnard
>Salem, MO

Roger