New Steinway D problem

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:35:05 EDT

>any good advice you have as to
>how to deal with this assuming the screws are tight, or
>tightening does not improve the situation. Specifically is
>it possible/advisable to remove this peice with tension up
>and bush  the contacting surfaces ? Or would you recommend
>something else.

Factory advice on removal several years ago,(when I asked), was to leave it
alone if tight, but it was ok to take it out if not!  That makes no sense to
me and sounded like they were just trying to cover themselves.
   You would like to avoid dropping the tension on the piano, if possible, to
get the strut back in, so I suggest that you loosen the screw a turn and see
if the strut will move. Be aware that if it does, it may not go back down
again, but it is possible that the new position will not rattle.
   Otherwise, I suggest a big screwdriver, (make sure that it fits the slot
very well), and a lot of torque plus a sharp rap downward at the end of the
strut with a padded hammer.  (this assumes all nose bolts have been checked
for tension, as well as plate bolts. )
good luck.
Ed Foote