Tuning the Duplex (was ...Capo)

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:33:03 -0500

Thank you and I trust and will try what you say, though I wasn't the =
person with the duplex complaint.

I am mystified, a little, though. It seems like the strings, up against =
the capo, are as high as they could get.=20

Would this not also tend to make the string rise off the bridge a =
little?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Patrick C Poulson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 1:43 PM
  Subject: Re: Tuning the Duplex (was ...Capo)

  Alan: Roger is referring to the practice of using a string hook to =
lift and level all the strings, so that they make firm contact with the =
capo bar and are level.  Using the string hook of your choice, put the =
hook under the string right in front of the damper and pull towards the =
capo bar, lifting slightly as you do so.  Do all three strings and check =
that they are level.  The strings will typically drop in pitch and =
improve in tone when retuned.  It will eliminate some if not all the =
duplex noise.=20
  Patrick Poulson, RPT