smoke damage

Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:53:13 -0700

What is Fabrize and where do you get it?

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 03, 2002 10:01 AM
  Subject: Re: smoke damage

  In a message dated 9/3/02 10:50:01 AM Central Daylight Time, =
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:=20

    Does cigarette smoke have the same corrosive properties?=20

    What is the substance of choice to clean the smoke smell from =
unfinished wood?=20

    David Love=20

  I think if someone smoked very heavily over a long period of time, (20 =
- 30 years), and did it right around the piano, the same problem will =
occur. The soot from a house fire, however, is much more caustic than =
cigarette smoke. That is why the damage is much greater, in a shorter =
period of time.=20

  I have used Murphy's oil soap with good success to clean the smoke =
smell off wood. Unfortunately, the smoke smell is not just on the =
outside of the case. It's usually also inside the piano. So although the =
outside of the case might smell good, the inside is still going to smell =
like smoke. In that case, you might want to use a product like Fabrize.=20

  Wim=20