Tuning the Capo

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 01:13:48 -0500

I would ask Yamaha about this.    ---ric

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason Kanter <jkanter@rollingball.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 12:18 PM
Subject: Tuning the Capo

> Greetings, list. I have met a Yamaha C-series grand that I will
be tuning next week. Took the ETD "voice-print", played it, and
examined the action.

> This piano has a cap d'astro bar in both the treble and tenor
sections. Owner complains that sometimes the piano has a "ring"
that sounds almost like a telephone. I checked the tuning of the
capo and they are all way off. The highest section, where the capo
section is equal to the speaking section and therefore should be a
unison, is off by more trhan a semitone. There is no place in the
whole capo that is in tune. And there is muting string-braid-felt
that has been inserted to quiet the lowest 7-8 notes of the capo
(about c4 to g4).

> My question to you is: what's the current best practice
regarding tuning of the capo? Do you routinely check and adjust?
Can I just take a hammer and screwdriver and tap it forward/back
until it is in tune, and then tune the piano? Or is it necessary
to lower string tension first? Or should I use a different tool
such as a hammer shank to tap the bar?