business license?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 01:01:26 -0500

> And you know what the funny part is. Because I am on the rolls
of
> that fine tax paying brotherhood, I am actually required by law
> report those who boast they aren't.
>
> I find that an amusing position to be in   :-)
>
> Keith McGavern

Ha Ha....  I saw an ad saying "licensed  Piano tuner"    The only
license in this case was a state sales and service tax license.

 Since the question of "should I be licensed?" has been raised and
considering some of the replies, perhaps it ought to be in the
code of ethics. "I will ascertain and comply with all legal
requirements for doing business as a piano tuner technician".
This then would make it reasonable for the Guild to offer advice
on how to find out what the regulations are for members in the
various localities in North America at least.
    Until then I can offer 3 major areas of legal concern for
techs doing business.
    If you use you phone for business, in most areas you are
legally required to have a business phone.  But hey, this gives
you a free listing in the yellow pages.
     If the state you are doing business in has a sales tax it is
probably a service tax also, if so you might required to collect
sales tax for your fees for services.
    File Schedule C.

Other little nags, but big if you get "busted"
    Tell your auto insurance agent you use your vehicle for
business
    Find out about insurance for losses or claims of over $5,000
not only in your car, and shop but in the client's home.
    If you hire somebody make sure you know the requirements for
 workmen's comp, tax and social security withholdings, and
be  prepared to meet and deal with OSHA
    If you work for a business make sure you are considered an
independent contractor unless they want to hire you as an
employee.
    Designate some one with power of attorney in case you are
suddenly incapacitated.
    If your business has assets put them in your will.
    Comply with "Doing Business As" or "D.B.A."  laws.
    Know if you need a commercial license for your vehicle.

Optional but very important
    List yourself in the yellow pages
    Consider registering with Better Business
    Consider registering with Dunn and Bradford
    A sign on your vehicle.  A good thing to have in times of
        heightened security awareness.
    Printed business cards in your wallet.
    Cell phone

---ric