business license?

Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:45:00 -0700

Labor is not subject to sales tax.  Only parts that are sold are.  I have
registered my business in the city in which I work since I began.  The
penalty for not doing so is quite high.  Business licenses for self employed
people are also sometimes used as verification when applying for loans such
as in home mortgages and refinancing.  Usually the fees for business
licenses such as we practice are nominal.  You will also need a resale
license if you provide parts for which you charge and you need to collect
sales tax on those items.   You will then need to fill out a quarterly
report for the State Board of Equalization indicating how much tax revenue
you collected and send them their due.  Keep good records!  Sales tax audits
are not uncommon.

David Love
----- Original Message -----
From: "pianolover 88" <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 02, 2002 1:07 PM
Subject: business license?

This query is mainly to those techs residing/doing business in California,
and specifically in the Los Angeles area. How many of you have a business
license? Is it actually required since we generally do not have a store
front, inventory and/or employees? If it IS required, does that mean that if
we service, let's say, 35 different cities, we need 35 separate business
licenses??? A fellow tech friend tells me that he has one license for the
city in which he lives, and he must pay not only his yearly fee, but sales
tax on his tunings NO MATTER WHICH CITY he has done his work! I find this
very hard to believe. I hope someone in the know can set the record straight
on this one. thanks in advance.

Terry Peterson