Broadwood Rectangular Tuning tip

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:47:27 -0500

On this one I have not really checked pin tightness, etc.  Just tired of not
having the tool for the job.  I had maybe three call recently and when you
schedule the tuning, happen not to ask what it is, and they fail to let you
know and you arrive w/out the lever, well...... Two of the customers have
more than one piano. Judging from the existing tuning, the pins are probably
decent. Thanks again
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2002 2:50 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Broadwood Rectangular Tuning tip

Lance,

You're welcome for the suggestion.  Did you say you have seen the piano?

Those Broadwood grands that I have worked on in the past have not only had
oblong tuning pins, but the pins instead of having the fine multiple threads
of our standard tuning pins, have coarse sharply defined threads.  Rather
than the holes in the cast iron being larger than the pin, they are small
and
tapped to fit the thread.  Invariably, I have found slipping tuning pins.

Since there was no opportunity to use oversize pins, I was stumped on the
first one.  It appeared someone had already treated the pin block by turning
it over and treating from the underside.  The treatment no longer held.  The
customer eventually sold the piano.

I am not keeping one up that I treated with thin CA after removing the felt
collar around each tuning pin.  Used no accelerator.  The pins now hold
acceptably.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service
Columbia, SC