Hygrometer

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 17:39:51 +0200

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 9/1/2002 2:12:44 AM Pacific Daylight
> Time, Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
>

>> Subj:Re: Hygrometer
>> Date:9/1/2002 2:12:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>> From:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no
>> Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
>> To:pianotech@ptg.org
>> Sent from the Internet
>>
>>      Hi Rick
>
>         Sorry Maybe I should have clarified . If the belly
> guy grabs 6 soundboards out of the hot box on a muggy
> summer morning pulls it out into the uncontrolled belly
> room and doesn't get around to ribbing the last couple
> till lunch time I'm guessin that there is going to be a
> tremendous difference in the amount of crowning from the
> first board to the last. I've observed this phenomena in a
> variety of Stwys, Mason ans Hamlin and others Some have
> lots of ridging or cracks.These actually sound better than
> others that come to my shop with "a perfect board" meaning
> no cracks but also no cro! wn and no eveidence that it
> ever had any but, cosmetically perfect. These sound wooden
> with short sustain in the "money notes". They also need
> replacing.
>    My point was that the belly room should be climate
> controlled and I have no idea if it has been changed. When
> a board is pressed up with to high a an emc in the
> compression crowned method the board can reverse crown
> later as witnessed by Terry F. in one of his recent posts.
>
>   My building isn't climate controlled either I just rib
> quickly as soon as the board comes outta da box but. In
> Calif. we rarely have a hot muggy day like the east and
> midwest. I have many summer days where the R.H. is 30% all
> day. Great belly weather!Eat your heart out!

Thanks Dale. Would be nice if someone had some recent info
on the Steinway factory in New York in this regard. But from
what you say I think we oughta just start trying to talk
them into leaving New York and move to Burbank...:)

I can see it now.... Steinway & Sons, Hamburg - Burbank

Nah... maybe it be better if they just installed climate
control in their factory.... and in the show room for that
matter.

I think that they take a half skeptic position to Damp
Chasers because they are of the opinion that a room climate
control system is better. Something doesnt quite add up in
all this eh ?

Cheers

RicB

--