Potential Customers

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 18:23:58 -0700

    Alan, I was in that type of area once when I was just starting out. =
I got tired of trying to educate people. Of course after the piano was =
tuned they loved it, but when you call back after a couple of months for =
the "regularly priced follow up to the 100 cent pitch raise" tuning, =
many of them would tell me "It still sounds fine".=20
    So, I just figured that that particular area had no use for a piano =
technician, and indeed didn't deserve one, and I left. Life's too short =
to have to struggle on neglected instruments 90% of the time, plus you =
don't really get to develop your skills too much beyond the "repair it, =
it's broke" level.=20
    Hope my experience doesn't parallel yours too closely, but it sounds =
kind of familiar to me. One of my best tech friends here worked in =
Kentucky. He said it was a constant string of neglected spinets, so he =
got out too.=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2002 2:47 PM
  Subject: Re: Potential Customers

  Terry Farrell asked me, with regard to my Potential Customers post:

  "Are you trying to increase your servicing volume?"

  The answer is YES. When I ventured into this business (2 1/2 years =
ago,
  Potter Course) I never had a hint that the vast majority of people--at =
least
  in rural Missouri--have no idea, whatsoever, that their piano is out =
of tune
  and/or don't care. Even churches will go for years without a tune!