Potential Customers

RCzekay@AOL.COM RCzekay@AOL.COM
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:38:58 EDT

There are many different types of piano owners. There are some that are true
students of the piano, and play for their own enjoyment, and others, who just
want a piece of furniture to decorate their living room. Therefore, the
students naturally want theirs to be kept in tune, while the others couldn't
care less. I remember a client that called me for a service call a few years
ago, to fix a sticking key. When I got there, and went over the piano, it was
so badly out of tune that it hurt my ears. I fixed the problem, and then
asked her when was the last time she had her piano tuned. She stated that not
since she bought it 30 years ago, but that it sounded good to her, and she
has a good ear!! I collected my fee for easing her sticking key, and left,
knowing that she would not want to pay for 3 or more pitch raisings to
stabilize her piano.

So, like beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder, sound is also in the ears
of the listener. When tuning, what may sound real good to you, might not
sound good to the client. It just seems that some people like the sound of
wild unisons, and when they are cleaned up they seem to think that it just
doesn't sound right anymore. This pertains to 95% of the piano owners, and
not the 5% of the ones that are serious musicians.

Try as we may, we as piano tuner-techs, will never be able to please
everyone.

Just a few of my thoughts,

Roy Czekay

Milwaukee, WI