No subject

Wimblees Wimblees
96-07-02 19:19:54 EDT

The idea of price fixing and the Sherman Act are more of a detirent (sp),
than any thing else. The MAIN thing to look out for is not to have a set
price for a tuning established at a chapter meeting. In other words, do not,
at a chapter meeting, make a motion, or even a suggestion, that every one
charge x number of dollars for a tuning, and have it appear in the minutes.
That is definitely considered price fixing. Even aggreeing amongst our selves
to charge a certain price could be considered price fixing, if a customer
finds out that this has happened.

As far a calling around to find out what the "competition" is charging,
that's is ok. It happens all the time. Car mechanics don't necessarily fix
prices, but they do have a time chart, buy which they know in advance how
long a job is supposed to take. The PTG also had such a guide, and I think
Newton Hunt published one several year back.(*) The purpose of this guide is
use your own hourly rate. Now if your hourly rate was the same as everyone
else's, then your repair charges are going to be the same, just like tunign
fees. In my Business Techniques class I outline how to come up with a way to
figure your hourly rate. Vivian Brooks also has a system that works along the
same principal.

The bottom line, in regards to "price fixing", is that as long as the PTG,
whether it is the chapter, or the whole Guild, doesn't go around saying
"let's everybody charge $2000 per tuning", and records that in the minutes, I
don't think we have anything to wory about.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis

(*) Newton said he has given his book to the PTG, and they are coming out
with it hopefully by the convention.