Plate Pin Problems

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 22:28:16 +0100

Hello,

It happens if the string is not at the base of the pin sometime, mostly if
there is a large angle from there.
It is important to tap the new string (as old ones sometime) down at the
base of the pin with a brass rod and a little hammer.
Plate pins are not bent usually, but is it really a plate pin you installed
?

May be you were not using the good string size (or someone before you)

Hope that helps.

Isaac OLEG

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de tune4u@earthlink.net
  Envoyé : samedi 30 novembre 2002 21:53
  À : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Plate Pin Problems

  Thought I had a broken treble string today. took out the old one only to
find it wasn't broken. Looking closer .... no plate pin. Gone. Popped out.

  Okay, found the old one--all bent and boogered up. Got out new one. Gently
pounded it in using 2 1/2 # hammer and tuning pin punch. Used large
screwdriver and hammer from up above to bend the pin down, somewhat.
Installed string. Up ... up... up... near pitch ... up ... uuuup ....
TWANGGGGGG.

  Okay, so I don't know how to install a new plate pin. And scared of
breaking the plate with too much whapping and tapping.

  Would greatly appreciate a brief lesson, here.

  Thanks in advance.

  Alan Barnard
  Ever Learning in Salem, MO