Plate Pin Problems

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:52:53 -0600

Thought I had a broken treble string today. took out the old one only to =
find it wasn't broken. Looking closer .... no plate pin. Gone. Popped =
out.

Okay, found the old one--all bent and boogered up. Got out new one. =
Gently pounded it in using 2 1/2 # hammer and tuning pin punch. Used =
large screwdriver and hammer from up above to bend the pin down, =
somewhat.  Installed string. Up ... up... up... near pitch ... up ... =
uuuup .... TWANGGGGGG.

Okay, so I don't know how to install a new plate pin. And scared of =
breaking the plate with too much whapping and tapping.

Would greatly appreciate a brief lesson, here.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Barnard
Ever Learning in Salem, MO